Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pirated Ship!

By: Marc R.

Back in 1993, I had won four tickets to a Pittsburgh Pirates game in drawing at Riverside Markets (now known as Bi-Lo) near my hometown. I didn't tell my mother I had entered my name to win because I never thought I'd win and it was a sneaky move for a young child. Imagine how excited I was when my parents said we were making a trip to the Steel City to Three River Stadium to watch nine innings of the team I had followed since my father put the Pirates nightlight in my bedroom at a young age.

When the three family members I had chosen and myself rode up the escalator in this old, broken down stadium, my eyes were just as big as those on cristmas morning. We had peanuts (hard shelled of course), hot dogs and soda. It was better than my birthday!

All I talked about on that ride up the escalator was watching my favorite player, Andy Van Slyke. He wore a gold cross, so did I. He didn't use batting gloves, neither did I. He tugged on the shoulder of his shirt during his pre-swing routine, so did I. He wore number 18, so did I.

As we walked out of the tunnel, all I could see was green grass, dirt and players the size of ants. But I was determined, I knew Andy Van Slyke was going to start in centerfield and hit a homerun to me, all the way in the cheap seats! So I waited and waited for the starting lineup to be announced.

Van Slyke always batted third - his name was announced! I listened four through nine and no number #18. You know who started that night in his place - Al Martin. Yes, Al Martin?

I never got to see my hero play. I had his rookie card, his "Slick" Poster and his signed Louisville Slugger Wooden Bat. I never got to see him in person in black a gold. Shortly there after, he had stint in Baltimore (I was a fan of the O's) and then the Phillies (I liked them too). Then the dreaded day came when he retired!

Now, he is the first base coach of the Tigers!

If the Pirates management were smart, they would woo #18 back to the Point to run the ship that is slowly sinking into Atlantis. Attendance is way and at least with Van Slyke, fans would come to the game to watch him manage.

I am not trying to downgrade the job John Russell is trying to do, but with the successful background Van Slyke has had on the field and now learning from Jim Leyland in the dugout, it seems like a no-brainer.

But then again, this is the same team that signed two pitchers who won a contest in India to major league contracts!

No comments:

Post a Comment