Thursday, January 15, 2009

One thing nobody, I mean nobody is taking with them

One thing nobody, I mean nobody is taking with them
By: D-Spat

Things have left Pittsburgh many times before.

My parents left Pittsburgh … they took me.

Many others before my parents left Pittsburgh, many of them long before they did.

They left not because they hated the city, but because they had too, whether it be for work, school or anything along those lines.

When I left Pittsburgh, I’d like to think I took my Western, Pa. values with me.

You know, the kind my mom and dad took.

Let’s face it, “Pittsburghers’ and Western Pa-ers’” are a just a bit together than you’re average Joe.

Even the white collors have a bit of blue of in them.

It’s that succeed at all costs kinda’ attitude, that I’m just a bit tougher than you “tude.”

And that’s why the Stillers have so many fans wherever they go.

The old saying is we don’t travel well, we’re already there is true.
A lot had to do with the original decline in the steel and coal mills in Western, Pa. and that’s why so many Black and Gold hearted faithful have taken resident elsewhere.

Not because we don’t love the place we came from.

That’s just it, we love Da’Burgh, we love Western Pa.

And we love our teams, we’re passionate … a special kind of passion rooted deep in those Western Pa. hills.

We never turn out back on our teams no matter what because we know when they put on the Black and Gold they shoulder our dreams as well. They know we care about them and they know they’re playing in a special place.

After all Steeler Nation has gone Global, that’s a special city to play in when every game is home game, weather its Pitt, Baltimore, Sicily, Hong Kong, San Diego or Mexico City. We’re there.

Several years ago, something terrible happened to Western Pa. Again jobs would be cut, as the Rolling Rock Brewery based in Latrobe was moving.

This was a sad day for many and “33” has never tasted the same since leaving the fresh stream brewed water used so long to make the wonderful drink, has been replaced by some foreign substance, a new brewery swears is H20.

This morning, while reading the Pittsburgh papers as I do every morning, I was once again sickened by an article.

Surprisingly, it sadden me more than what I was reading on the decline of my beloved Pens. Afterall they’ll be fine.

What made me so sad was that Iron City is now moving its doors.

Iron City brewery is cutting back, cutting jobs and heading out of the Da’Burgh.

This is awful news as I turned back to the IC light and currently have 11 of them sitting my fridge after buying a case on Sunday.

My mom told me to go back to my roots and I did and drinking the IC light helped the Stillers dominate the Chargers.

Iron City brewery, a Pittsburgh staple and landmark.
Edward Fraueneir had a dream and since its original place of business on 17th street it was a Burgh landmark despite growth and new locations within Pittsburgh city limits.

Much has come and gone from Pittsburgh and Western Pa. but one thing won’t leave.

They’ve taken are beer, but they’ll never get this.

And that’s the AFC championship because it belongs it the Pittsburgh.

Afterall, in 2006 when Rolling Rock announced it was leaving, the Stillers won the Superbowl.
Is it fate, I don’t know … nobody says you can beat a team three times, but then again the Stillers did it in 2002, against a Division Rival.

Bottom Line, Western Pa-er’s are tough and they won’t go down without a fight especially when there’s something to fight for.

It’s all about the 12th man so let’s fight for our team, anyway we can … even it it’s just wearing your black and gold in front of the T.V.

Because hey, in the end it’s all about Karma Baby … Black and Gold Karma

As of press time, we’re just over 72 hours from kickoff and I for one, am stoked

No comments:

Post a Comment